Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Day Five (Toronto)
















The sun was shinning today to welcome Open Spaces Gallery. Today I purchased a one hour parking ticket and marked out a couple feet between two cars.

This limited space was perfect because it represented how I felt. The expression of First Nation culture in the beautiful outdoors and fresh air was so stimulating. I only added a small section of beaded patterning to the gallery's territorial marker but I was so proud with the performance. Totally calming I guess.

I related todays beading of the territorial marker to an artist I learned about today. Marianne Nicolson's outdoor "Cliff Painting" of a emblematic shield served to identify the territory of her isolated community in Kingcome Inlet, BC. Her painting identifies the importance of subtle recognition, for the very least to feel apart of the greater existence. This project of allowing a parking space to be represented into a cultural venue is a subtle and important reminder that free expression of culture is a great feeling and rejuvenating.

No comments:

Post a Comment