Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Day Eight (Toronto)

























I have been developing a painting project inspired by the Betty Goodwin installation of a thick canvas-and-rope sculpture at the AGO. I was just there one day needing some time away from my thoughts and I totally got inspired by the loose tarpaulin draped over a horizontal pole. I have since purchased a 5'x5' canvas and have carried it around with me throughout Toronto a few times. To allow my surface to be as spontaneous as I am, to carry it with me when I am ready to go, to have something more substantial than a sketchbook, to incorporate my wandering walks throughout the downtown and along the discarded areas awaiting the spot I wish to layout the canvas and paint my surroundings.

Today at Open Spaces Gallery I decided to incorporate this identification with my art process into the open space. I woke up this morning and I knew I just wanted to layout the canvas and paint. The canvas took the shape of a blanket that I could paint and think on. I felt very proud of being apart of the Open Spaces Gallery today. Lots of thought development took place today as I have finished my classes and feel like a load has been lifted from my shoulders and being apart of a creative outdoor project was just what I needed.

I had some great conversations and shared a lot of hellos with people passing by, seeming to be happy to see a random act of painting on the street. I had an exciting conversation with an OCAD faculty member about performance art and her students. I love hearing stories about other practicing artists using their body to express a concept. We spoke about the potential next fall to use the Open Spaces Gallery as a venue for performance art students from OCAD to present and explore ideas. Of course I was in agreement and look forward to greater potential for use of the Open Spaces Gallery. I am really excited that this project is encouraging the involvement of other artists to take part in an outdoor temporal and alternative venue. Great! Another great feeling was to know that the small steps taken to advertise and document this project has lead to raising interest, to hear that this project is recognized and being watched when it feels as though some days I am on my own.

That is totally how I see the potential of Open Spaces Gallery too. You know, it doesn't need to be a space specifically for finished art pieces or works, but as a space that encourages and celebrates the exploration of developing new ideas. A documentation of the process that exists when involved in the construction of thought. Like, hey I got and idea, look, that guy has an open venue, lets go play kind of a thing. I have been encouraging this kind of minimal process at the Buffalo Stews at OCAD, the development of a small inkling of an idea is completely rewarding and can grow into a magnificent creation and a potential long term project. Anyways, that is what I hope for. The fall hasn't come yet, but there seems to be some great potential for future performances at Open Spaces Gallery.

Anyways, the conversation really inspired new thought about potential use for the Open Spaces Gallery. Encouraged thought about how I identify with art; how do I identify with my projects? This open gallery is a lot of performance, an act to be present for an hour, to celebrate the potential for opening of alternative space and to believe in my concept beyond the questioning looks. A show piece of what I can do with my art and my body, of feeling good. To use art to manifest good feelings and not a focus around frustration. To incorporate my practice around my daily routines

Being in everyone's eye today as they clean out their lockers and pick up their artwork, I feel correct. Today was both challenging and rewarding. It was hard to lay down the canvas and sit in the middle of an unfinished work and just stand behind the gallery concept and allow this performance to be my existence in the fresh crisp air painting from my surroundings. I never thought I would see myself sitting in the middle of the street in Toronto in front of an art school I attend. I really like the silence of this project. To sit in silence and slowly raise visibility of First Nation culture, or like today, visibility to the possibility of expressing creativity wherever someone wants. To raise awareness through a silent performance. I identify with grass roots projects that are more about celebrating free thought. To be inspired by natural materials of the environment and influenced by the open atmosphere. To breathe.

Next Wednesday, April 27 2011 Open Spaces Gallery will welcome Oluwatosin Sanni, a local Visual and Graphic Artist, to exhibit paintings exploring the artists fear of the unknown. As can be seen in the top painting on the right, the almost alien like figures and concepts of his work explore his experience as a newcomer to Canada from Nigeria. This exhibition promises to be stimulating. To view Oluwatosin's website; www.mycreomotion.com

No comments:

Post a Comment